The objective of this study is to provide the technical materials and instructions on how to ensure safety of ships operating in arctic waters.
For this purpose, followings have been investigated through the literatures - Design Service Temperature
- Polar Service Temperature
- Scavenge Air of Diesel Engine
- Sea inlet and Cooling Water Systems
- Life Saving Appliance
- Fire Fighting Equipment - the geographic characteristics and natural environment of the Arctic Waters and North Pole Route
- the characteristics and problems of ships operating in the Arctic Waters
and Draft of Polar Code have been investigated, which has being established by IMO.
And related requirements of FSICR(Finnnish-Swedish Ice Class Rule), UR(Unified Requirement) of IACS(International Association of Classification Society), Rule of Classification Societies including RMRS(Russia Maritime Register of Shipping) have been investigated.
Based on the above mentioned investigation, the winterization techniques and guidelines on the following machinery installations and appliances have been investigated, and appropriate alternative or future study direction have been provided