Tugboat & barge business, accompanied necessarily with the development of shipping industry, is regarded as a pivotal infrastructure that supports shipping industry and governmental policy toward logistics hub in the northeastern Asia.
The expansion of shipping market and development of shipbuilding technology lead to the appearance of a various kinds of large vessels, and require the construction of harbors with the depth of water at which these vessels can call, and harbor tug to facilitate their incoming and outgoing as well. To shorten a shipbuilding period of large vessels effectively, parts of ship block are made in several collaborative shipyards at home and in China, and then they are transported to shipbuilding yard for fabrication.
Tugboat and barge, major means of transportation to support the repairs and building of ships, has held an indispensable position along with the growth of shipbuilding industry, and performed very important role in various harbor-related job sites, such as the transportation of sand, dredging soil and cranes, etc.
In spite of the importance of tugboat and barge, on account of not having a national financial support, tugboat & barge business falls into financial difficulty with overage vessels and small scale of business. Based on the importance of tugboat & barge's role, this paper intends to show problems of tugboat & barge business using the questionnaire methode, and suggests how to improve and strengthen competitive power in order to cope with these difficulties with which tugboat & barge business is confronted.
1. Reinforcing advantages of tugboat & barge business - flexibility, variety, timeliness, and moderate in freight.
2. Overcoming a small-scale of business by integration of companies, and acquiring various-sized fleets.
3. Opening homepage for communication and exchange of information between tugboat/barge companies and shippers.
4. Crew training program for safety navigation of vessels combined to tugboat and barge.
5. Removal of overage ships & expansion of funds to improve the organization of fleet.
6. Taking an opportunity effectively resulting from prosperity of shipbuilding industry and the increase of volumes.
7. Retaining and training professional staff with tugboat/barge business knowledge
8. Acquisition of berth & moorage for tugboat and barge.
9. Supply of duty-free oil for improving the management of tugboat/barge business.
10. Furthering positive activities of tugboat & barge association and inducing the attention of government toward tugboat/barge policy.