Busan, a maritime city, needs to overcome the obstacles of the two-dimensional usage of space in relation to its geographical characteristics and prepare a land usage measure to maximize the potential functions of the ocean.
The coastal area has been so far used as a place for marine transportation, a port, logistics base and fisheries. However, with the recent active development of the waterfront, there is an increasing social demand to build a city with new functions that takes advantage of the attractive lifestyle benefits of the ocean as well.
Busan city has in particular been relentlessly developed without a clear plan and guideline on design, only focusing on business and profits.
Recently, however systematic coastal development has become a high necessity.
Regarding the development plan of marine architectures and the waterfront, this study has focused on the planning of housing complexes located in waterfront areas, researching and analyzing the comfort and convenience of the housing complex with respect to the residents. It also analyzed comfort and satisfaction by floor, by direction and by location in the same complex, suggesting bases for the most favorable floor, direction and location.
The study tried to suggest bases to set up design guidelines, design factors and principles, which are necessary to build up a desirable model for waterfront housing complexes in the long view.
And the results of the study are as follows:
1) The preference on direction has found that the most popular directions, in order of preference are south, southeast, southwest, east and other, with some people showing the traditional preference for the northern direction.
2) 67% of people surveyed on scenery said the outward view is more important than the direction, meaning that residents in waterfront housing complexes regard the scenery as very important.
3) A comprehensive analysis on preference on view from each floor zone at quay wall type, coastal type, and river-seashore locations and the impact of the characteristics of the marine environment, shows that the most popular floors, in order of preference are high-level, very high lever, middle level and low level.
Comprehensive results on major considerations for planning of marine residential complexes with respect to the needs of the residents are as follows:
-Stability against natural disasters such as typhoons
-Minimizing damage caused by salinity or humidity of sea air
-Allocation plan of the complex to ensure maximized use of oceanic scenery
- A study on an open- type rather than an obstructed-type of residential complex
-A comfortable environment including enough distance and protection of privacy through a staggered arrangement of buildings.
- Protection from neighboring noise and transportation noise sources.
-A smooth traffic road and access road plan for residents (separation of traffic line from pedestrians).